Monday, April 2, 2012

Homemade Corn Tortillas



Sometimes at work I have a lot of down time because my clients need some down time and I just get to hang out at their house while they watch a movie or read and relax. I, however, get sick of watching TV or sitting around with nothing pressing to do so I cook. One day I decided to make some homemade corn tortillas for a fish taco dinner that night. Obviously corn tortillas are about the easiest thing in the world to make, all you need is water and masa, but it can be challenging to get them looking store perfect without a tortilla press. Besides who among us has a tortilla press in their kitchen? I know I don't and work certainly doesn't, so I had to MacGyver a solution. Luckily I found the solution with only a few failed attempts...




Tada!! All you have to do is roll out the tortillas between two bits of wax paper with a rolling pin and use a pyrex bowl (or any other like shaped bowl) as a cookie cutter. Personally I found this pryex bowl was the exact size of a normal corn tortilla and worked great as a cookie cutter. Once I figured this out I had made about 2 dozen tortillas in no time!! Also as someone who eats a lot of corn tortillas (much better than any other bread alternative for those of you who also can't do gluten) I discovered that the homemade ones really do taste a lot better, and they are much cheaper, which is a big plus to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment